We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Phone from web book

Donk1952
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a laptop with a built in SIM card slot. When I put the card from my phone in it it works fine. I can browse the internet, send SMS and email. How can I make and recieve phone calls without putting the SIM card back in the phone. I am worried that the card will get damged eventually

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The SIM card slot is for data services only (ie internet, not calls or texts). To use it for internet access on your laptop you also need WWAN (wireless wide area network) card supported by one of the broadband cell providers that uses GSM-GPRS-HSPDA.

See here enter link description here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

northumbria61 - I think that the OP can already browse the internet, etc but wants to make phone calls with a netbook. But I don't think that is possible.

Like this post
Donk1952

Likes # 0

Thanks for your responses. I am on Orange. my SIM card was origionally supplied for use in a blackberry phone. As such it could be used for Voice, Email, SMS, MMS, internet etc. When put into the laptop it still does everything but Voice (I had to enable HSPA and use the Connection Manager software supplied with the computer) As I can send and recieve texts it is clearly connecting to the mobile phone network, so I can't help thinking that it is only a software limitation.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Donk1952 - found this for you to look at enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Woolwell - OP wants to make phone calls with a netbook. But I don't think that is possible.

Thats' the message I was trying to get across - "The SIM card slot is for data services only - not calls

However from the LINK I have just found it appears it is possible with the correct phone software installed.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Donk1952 - Maybe have a word with ORANGE to see if they can help.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Donk1952 - Further - As I can send and receive texts it is clearly connecting to the mobile phone network, so I can't help thinking that it is only a software limitation.

It does seem as though you are near to achieving what you want but brings me back to my original The SIM card slot is for data services only - not calls

A bit of extra software as described in the above LINK !

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Unfortunately the phone software usually allows you to use the phone tethered not use the sim card without the phone. It used to be possible to make phone calls using a modem and this is effectively what the phone would be.

Why don't you tether your phone to the netbook instead?

Like this post  
Donk1952

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I think that tehering is probably the best solution

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...