We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice On Motherboards

Cubby76

Likes # 0

Hello, i have recently purchased a computer case (a midi) and need to buy a new motherboard, however i have seen this one (Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2P G41 Socket 775 DDR3 Onboard VGA 7.1 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard) but am looking for any better ones,i cant afford to pay a huge amount, does anyone have any ideas? I am trying to build my pc from scratch, and i have bought case which has dimensions of 430mm (l) x 175mm (W) x 360mm (H) and unfortunately the motherboard from my old computer is too big for this, so i just want some advice?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'd be tempted to go for a 'bundle', where you get mobo, cpu and RAM guaranteed to work together. Have a look at the Novatech and Maplin websites.

Like this post
Cubby76

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for that, deeply appreciated, can I ask another dumb question? how will I know that the motherboard is the right size for my case tho, as I don't want the same issue again?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What case are you planning on using?Most decent makes of PC cases will list motherboard size compatibility.

Your motherboard is a m-ATX which will fit in near enough any case, so a midi will be fine, the dimensions given will easily accommodate your motherboard. Your motherboard is a socket 775 which is a little dated. What sort of cash have you? and what do you use the PC for mainly? Do you already have other components? What about operating system?

Like this post
Cubby76

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus, My case is Casecom MA-1199 Shiny Black MATX Tower Case, i have looked and I cant see any motherboard specs? I will Mainly be using it for work & gaming purposes, I have been recommended to get a Celeron G530 Motherboard? Cash wise, to be honest not a whole load as I have a young baby too, but I have saved about £200 at the present, but wanna get other bits too, i know im probably asking the impossible here :) you sound really knowledgeable so any advice you can give would be amazing!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Well as you can see your case is m-atx so no problems with your motherboard.This one I think.

Change your mobo to,This one. CPU G530 So far that is £68.65.

You do not say if you have any other bits already?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...