We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No connections are available

b41n5

Likes # 0

I turned on my Netbook (Packard Bell NAV50, Windows 7) the other day and it would not connect to the internet. Not only won't it connect, but I can't even find any wireless networks, the icon in the bottom right just has a red cross. I'm currently using another laptop which can detect the network and next doors too so it is not a problem with the router. My PS3, phone, iPod etc also all connect fine. I've checked the fn f2 thing and that is definately on and working. Also when i click on "change adapter settings" in "network and sharing centre", it is there and is enabled and has the full green symbol icon but also has a red cross. I've checked loads of threads with no luck. Any ideas?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have posted this on the thread in Windows 7 too.

I'm assuming that it was working correctly until recently? Have there been any updates that may have caused this? If so you could try restoring the pc to an earlier date or uninstalling any suspect updates.

If not....

Have you tried connecting it directly to the router via ethernet and then making sure updates are up to date, including driver updates for the wireless adapter?

Like this post
b41n5

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have already tried restoring it with no luck. I just tried updating the driver but it is up to date.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

A red cross usually shows that something is disabled.

Have you made sure that the wifi hasn't accidentally been switched off?

Have you tried deleting the wireless profile altogether, connecting by ethernet and then re-trying a wireless connection?

You could try uninstalling the wireless adapter in Device Manager and reboot and let windows find the device again.

Like this post
b41n5

Likes # 0

Wi-fi definately hasnt been switched off. I just tried what u said and still no luck. It's so strange being as it was working fine the other day. I think ill just take it to someone to see if they can fix it!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It could possibly be a fault with your network card.

Have you had a look at the power management settings? Sometimes wireless can be disabled by these. Go to the Power Options for your netbook and change the settings there so the wireless adapter won't be disabled by low battery triggers.

You could try:-

Opening Network Connections by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type adapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.

Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Networking tab, and then click Configure.

Click the Power Management tab, clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.

Like this post
davidconer

Likes # 0

Hi all, You may have accidentally turned off the Broadcast on the wireless Router if you plug in the Ethernet cable from your router to your laptop so you can access your router direct do this then follow this instructions from http://www.crcomputerrepair.com

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features