We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive Query

Ritchbee

Likes # 0

Hi,

Last night I moved a lot of data in the C drive to the D drive to create space as it was nearly full on my laptop. It meant that I now had just over 11GB free as a result.

Just turned on my laptop and it has gone down to 8.8GB and is still going down as a type and I've done nothing om it either. It would appear there are some process or processes running in the background that is using up the GB?. How can you tell or stop it?

I don't understand why this drive had used up its capaticy so quickly as we are not heavy users.

Many thanks Brian

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If you are connected to the internet, that might be the obvious place to investigate...try disconnecting and see what happens.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Windows system restore will often gobble up any hd free space, Vista is the worst culprit but W7 and XP have their moments but at least they have easy access to settings where it usage can be limited

Cheers HC

Like this post
Ritchbee

Likes # 0

Sorry,

Should have said I am running W7

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When you say C and D drives do you mean partitions on the same drive? As it is a laptop hibernation is a must, as well as pagefile. Windows 7 is a master at allocating space for both these files in the root system. Your space was cramped before so you moved data to the D: partition so Win 7 simply expanded what space it has for hibernation and pagefile. You say you're not heavy users but how much photos, music and documents do you store? I'd be thinking of an external usb hard drive for keeping all your documents, etc, as I think your hard drive is near to full, or your C: partition anyway. Check in Computer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to get a free EE Power Bar: Mobile and broadband customers eligible for free smartphone charger

IDG UK Sites

Why Netflix won't terminate your account for using a VPN, probably

IDG UK Sites

Forever 21 denies pirating Adobe, Autodesk and Corel software, accuses companies of 'bullying'

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple's WWDC invite shows Apple TV