We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband speed

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I am using my sons Laptop at his house where he lives according to Orange he should be getting around 5.5MB.

I have run a test and the download speed is 0.234 mb/s.

Up load is 0.594 mb/s.

This is wireless speed and hard wired.

Any Ideas what to try

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Have you tried an alternative speed-test, to see if the results are the same?.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Also try a speed test at different times of the day. If evening speeds are the lower ones then it's a contention ratio problem (too many using the same exchange connection at the same time) then complain to the ISP. Same for weekends. If it's always that low then complain to your ISP, might be a fault at the exchange. One other thing to check is to dial 1471 on your 'phone and listen carefully at the background 'noise' to see if you hear interference when the automated voice is speaking. Assuming Orange supplies BB via BT line.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

It may be worth checking the capability of your number. Your ISP should be able to test and tell you, or you could try something like this. Line test

If it shows you should get a lot more, contact the ISP

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

john bunyan, nice link but an expensive ISP!

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Check out this Orange forum on thinkbroadband:

Orange (formerly Wanadoo UK)

Also I suggest your son raises the speed issue with Orange Support by phone.

Re-booting the router can solve problems.

Like this post  
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks all for ideas tried them all and no improvement. My son rang orange and they fitted a new modem the engineer said he couldn’t improve on the strength. The following day the engineer rang back made some alteration at there end and it shot to over 15GB. He was advised not to switch the modem off at any time even when going on holidays, also the more often he was online the higher amount of GB would be at his disposal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features