We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recording direct into thePC

Mr. Chips

Likes # 0

I am currently recording some organ music from Youtube onto my PC using Audacity.

At the moment, I have to record via the microphone, which picks up all sort of unwanted odd noises!

How do I set the PC up so that it can use the Line In? ... thereby by-passing the microphone?

Do I need extra wiring within the PC? .. or hopefully some setting which will enable me to accomplish this.

I don't have to use Audacity ... it's just that it otherwise does exactly what I want in terms of editing etc.

Any advice will be gladly received.

Like this post
Mr. Chips

Likes # 0

P.S.. I should have added that Audacity gives me three input choices

1. USB Audio device, which seems to be my Skype microphone

2. Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input, which seems to use the same microphone

3. Sigma TelAudio - And here , I think the answer may be!

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

I've only had cause to do this once and it worked fine. First you need to be using Firefox, install Video DownloadHelper its a free add-on which will download the video from Youtube. Then convert to the audio format of your choice using Freemake Video Converter, you can download it from PCA Downloads You could also try Freemake Video Downloader don't know how good it is though.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Sigma TelAudio - And here , I think the answer may be"

Yep, no "stereo mixer" same as me, you're stuffed. If you get a solution let me know :)

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

As ltvic has said the problem could be stereo mixer, this is usually turned off in Vista and Win7 and you will need to turn it on and make it the default device to allow Audacity to record direct from the computer.

Click here instructions on how to activate stereo mixer.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, simply update your audio driver, or sometimes, install an older one. Had same problem on 7 with Realtek audio codec/driver. Found the driver I needed and stereo mix was available.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To enable stereo-mix in XP,if you have the correct driver, Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds And Devices -> Audio Tab -> Under "Sound recording" click "Volume" button, unmute Stereo Mix

If you don't see Stereo Mix there, then go Options -> Properties -> select Stereo Mix and click OK. If still missing then you need to search for another driver for your audio chip.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have spent many weeks at a time on and off trying to solve it. Still no go. The only driver that some had success with has been removed from Intel site and when I did track it down last year, it didn't work for me either.

I did all the registry hacks and alter settings etc. As I said - still no go for me.

For those that doubt, do a google for: Sigma Tel Audio recording pc sound no stereo mix

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What sound chip/card do you have and what OS?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What I meant was run Belarc or SIW to see what Chip/card you have.

Possibly other unsigned drivers will work.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If a Dell PC then better invest in a new audio card I think..

Dell.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers