We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firefox 12

maa970f

Likes # 0

Hello all,

Due to the persistent pop up on my Firefox 3.6 I 'upgraded' to Firefox 12. I don't like it, particularly as I used to use the Google toolbar, which is not supported on Firefox 12. I am now considering Google Chrome but how secure is it, and is it particularly relevant as I have a comprehensive and current AVG protection system installed?

Alec

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Google Chrome is just as secure as Firefox. However Chrome doesn't have toolbars and you cannot run Google Toolbar. IE 8 or 9 has Google toolbar. All of these options are more secure than Firefox 3. If you are concerned about security then you should forget Google Toolbar as there are no security updates for it and Google recommend that people should stop using it.

Like this post
maa970f

Likes # 0

Hello Both,

thanks for the advice but it seems as if my terminology was wrong. What had happened and I have now corrected is that in the changeover to Firefox 12 my old Google homepage did not transfer with it. This has now restored the small bar which gave the various options such as images maps etc. The question remains as to how important is browser security if a good security programme is also functioning?

Thanks again,

Alec

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Browser security is more important now than it has ever been in my humble opinion. You get bad scripts written to web pages, sometimes disguised as adverts, and the very bad ones can execute if you merely roll the mouse cursor over them. So updating your browser is as important as updating your security software.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room