We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop power failure

Rotenone

Likes # 0

Sir, I have a 2 year old Packard Bell Easynote LJ 71 laptop.Recently it suddenly cut out and closed down by itself.I unplugged it,switched it on and it again shut down after a short time.Please can you advise me as to what is going wrong with it.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Overheating? Dust clogged fan? Fan failure? Faulty power supply/batteries?

Could be lots of things. I'm not a laptop expert but these are some of the common problems.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try it with the battery removed.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Does the led that indicates the battery is being charges illuminate? What does the battery level indicator show?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Get a brush and brush of the dust. Get an air can use the air can

Do you no about taking anti static precautions, Google it and read about it, get yourself an anti static wrist strap.

If u feel confident and have the manual of the laptop open it, the back cover to remove dust but make sure you are grounded. Only your manual will tell you how to open the laptop and may even explain how to remove the keyboard. It may come under the section of adding more RAM cards.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Alos use Q tips cotton wool tips to clean the and and use a pencil in between the blades to stop the fan moving to much as you give it clean.

Like this post
Rotenone

Likes # 0

Thank you everyone.I have found out that there is a thermal cut-out which kicks in when the laptop overheats due to a dust clogged fan. The advice about giving it a good clean was excellent and has cured the problem.Thank you all again. Best wishes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)