We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

deleting emails

Liza

Likes # 0

I am very concerned about my email/broadband provider. I asked them to transfer my emails to xp mail. Everything was going ok. Then when I bought a new laptop. The mail did not appear on Windows 7 mail so I asked why this was not shown on Windows 7 mail. Only some emails were transferred whereas all should appear in either. Today all my emails from XP have been deleted by my provider. Is this allowed. I have had emails with other providers and this sort of thing has never happened. Please help. Liza

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I don't know if this will help you but have a read here enter link description here

Did you have your email program set up to leave mail on the Server and for how long? Maybe this is the reason you have only got some emails - maybe they were the only ones left on your Server - I may be entirely wrong in my assumption of course.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is no substitute for a backup of all your emails - that way if the ISP goes bust or in your case "loses" them you have a copy. Leo explains ways how to do this in this link enter link description here

You could try contacting your ISP and asking to speak to a Supervisor or Shift Manager (whatever they call themselves these days) about the situation.

Like this post
Liza

Likes # 0

Thank you all. Deleting emails. How did it happen. The provider suddenly decided to transfer my server to MS Express so I only found an empty MS Express on log on. I at once contacted provider the assistant said he could not find my emails perhaps deleted. Imagine my consternation, pain, speechlessness. I have been with provider for 8 months, joined them because PC Adviser approved of them. I then logged on to my old provider and saw a reply from my contact to my email (deleted) asking furiously why no reply. I had been with that provider for about 15 years and my emails were always intact. My other previousl providers were also very good. Of course when I left my last provider I backed up my important e's. This is the first time I have experienced this behaviour and I have been with email ever since its inception. Someone said here she wanted to go to Police. Is this wise?Liza

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would like to help, but quite honestly I can't make head nor tail of what you are saying.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Here's a guess - OP had emails with ISP A using either webmail or Outlook Express then changed to ISP B. After a period of time ISP A locked the e-mail account and may have deleted them.

Option 2 - with ISP A e-mails were left on the server or used webmail with ISP B Outlook Express used and e-mails not left on the server. Of course they cannot find them because they are on your pc.

Pointless contacting police.

I'm guessing because as lotvic has stated it is quite difficult to work out what happened.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Here's a guess - OP had emails with ISP A using either webmail or Outlook Express then changed to ISP B. After a period of time ISP A locked the e-mail account and may have deleted them.

Option 2 - with ISP A e-mails were left on the server or used webmail with ISP B Outlook Express used and e-mails not left on the server. Of course they cannot find them because they are on your pc.

Pointless contacting police.

I'm guessing because as lotvic has stated it is quite difficult to work out what happened.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The trouble with using an ISP email service is that if you decide to change provider then you can lose the privilege of using their email service. If you don't use something like Outlook or Windows live Mail and save your .eml files on your PC then it really is your fault. Remember the ISP you left have no responsibility towards you any more, just as the new provider is not responsible for your older email files. I must say one good thing about AOL, I left them a few years ago and my email addy is still going.

Try Gmail for future use. Using WLM you can save your mail and they'll also be on Google's servers and be available no matter which ISP you decide to use.

Like this post
Liza

Likes # 0

Hello rdave13 and others. Thanks for your help. My provider is plusnet. They have a plusnet assist who will always ask your permission to do anything. On this occasion it just did not ask so went ahead and deleted all my emails and provided a blank Outlook Express. Some of the emails were a week or 2 days old. I had no time to reply or I was not at home. However since you say nothing can be done so I will just have to forget it all. Liza

Like this post
Liza

Likes # 0

Hello rdave13 and all

Just thought Id let you know about 'deleting emails'. I found the folder containing the emails. The folder was removed from its normal place. All my emails are thus in there and not deleted. So my apologies to plusnet. Liza

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad you found the elusive folder.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...