We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Firewall

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I'm clinging on to XP, it suits my needs, does all I want and I'll keep it as long as I can. I've always used the Windows firewall but I'm thinking of installing one of the freebies. Can anyone who uses them point me towards what they consider the best?

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Batch and John...ZA never again with the proverbial bargepole. It's gone now ...but only just and I'm back with Windows firewall which has never bothered me, let alone crash my machine!! I'm reluctant to try any of the others, Comodo, AVG etc in case it happens again, but I'd love to find out why it went berserk.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When I used XP I settled for PCTools free firewall. Owned by Norton now I believe. LINK

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I also used Comodo firewall in XP days- if it is still free, worth a look.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

It is around see:
Comodo Free Firewall

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Rdave and John, I pretty much know the options but after the ZA disaster I don't want to go through the same again..once bitten etc!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Mainstream support for Windows XP has officially ended as far as ordinary consumers are concerned, and that is going to become an increasingly important factor from the security point of view.

XP may still fit the bill as far as your computing needs go, but you will not receive any security updates, and that will impact on the effectiveness of your firewall. If you want up to date security in that respect you really should move to a third-party firewall, or consider migrating to Windows 7, which is about as stable and secure as operating systems go at the moment.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

FE - that is not how it is according to Microsoft.

Security Updates will be provided for XP until April 2014 (see Microsoft Support Lifecycle) and Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy), so there's nearly 2 years to go before any XP users needs to get worried.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

FE, surely Batch is correct, I've read the 2014 date several times!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015