We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Firewall

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I'm clinging on to XP, it suits my needs, does all I want and I'll keep it as long as I can. I've always used the Windows firewall but I'm thinking of installing one of the freebies. Can anyone who uses them point me towards what they consider the best?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thank you rawprawn,the Windows firewall never bothers me, how much work does Zone Alarm need?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

When I had XP, I found PCTools firewall very good. I remember a little issue with Zone Alarm clashing with AVG (if you use it as an a/v) but maybe things are OK now.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks john, I've got Avast.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Then either ZA or PCTools should be OK. I think the latter had a slightly better review, but I am a bit out of date. May be worth having a look at recent reviews of both.Now I am on W7 I use the W7 firewall.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks again, checking the reviews now.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

XP firewall is only one way

therefore you need a better one

ZA is good but gave me problems when trying to network now have sygate which is no longer available.

Latter versions of ZA will be OK

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Phew, thumbs up System Restore!! Downloaded Zone Alarm, seemed ok and was told to restart. On boot up I was faced with my usual Windows screen minus all my programs. Not the dreaded BSOD, but nothing at all there. I couldn't uninstall the damn thing because there was nothing there to click on. I couldn't even turn off without holding the button in! I started in Safe Mode but my Revo uninstaller wouldn't work. Fearing the worst I began System Restore and that seems to have got everything back...I've no idea what Zone Alarm did or why, but I'm back on Windows firewall now for good. If anyone knows what went wrong I'd be keen to find out.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a look here, as well

another ZA problem

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I'm using ZA 7.0.483.000 with WinXP and Avast on 3 PCs, no probs at all and passes all the GRC Shields Up tests (see Gibson Research.

ZA asks every time a new or changed program wants Internet or local network access (which is how I like it).

Other thing with ZA is that you need to set up (under Firewall settings) your local net address range (e.g. 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255) as trusted and also loopback adapter IP (127.0.0.1) if you use that, other wise may have network probs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?