We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Explorer stops working

K*B
Resolved

Likes # 0

Friends, I have a prblem. Sometimes when i'm in the middle of a web page Internet Explorer stops working, so I lose the webpage!! I use a laptop running on Vista Home Basic. This evening I made an online job application by filling in a form and submitting it online. After the system tried for a long time to submit, it displayed an error message that INTERNET EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING. This means my application was not submitted. How can I fix this problem? Please help. thanks.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try Tools,Internet Options.Advanced,And press restore advanced settings.See if that helps.

If no difference press Reset,That resets Internet explorer to its original state.Now since it is a long time since I used that I cannot remember if it removes all of your favorites or not.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you do a reset your Favourites will be deleted.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here - a bit confusing to say the least enter link description here

If you click on RESET under the Advanced Tab it does give the option to delete (or not) your personal settings before doing a reset - however there is no mention of Favourites which is why I found the inf. in the link confusing.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is a way to backup your Favourites (forgot about this one) assuming you have Firefox installed (for importing etc) enter link description here

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Just uninstall IE9 and install new copy. Favourites are easy to start again.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Snrub

I uninstalled I/E9 on my other computer thinking it would put me back to I/E8 but it just removed I/E completely.

Kept it that way as I seldom use I/E anyway.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman I don't have the issues with IE that you seem to have. I have always used it as my 1st choice and personally find it quicker than FF. When you uninstall virtually any softwware update it is unlikely it will return to the previous version in my experience.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you restore IE to default settings you do not lose your favourites. The only thing is you'll need to re-enable your add-ons.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks buteman. I went into Internet options and pressed on Restore Advanced Settings. I'll watch and see if that fully solves the problem. Thanks guys, for your input.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote