We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

failing components?how to identify

Im a diddy
Resolved

Likes # 0

Heya,Im looking at a friends Pc for him,hes been having problems of late,not starting up,trying to repair windows installation and failing,only starting in safemode.After brief discussion we decided a fresh install of windows was the way to go,and he dropped it round today However,soon as i started it up the fans were turning but no other sign of life apart from short beep followed by a long beep.Upon googling it,memory appeared to be the cause of it,so i swapped ram sticks(2) in and out,reseated the ram.One stick was preventing it starting removed it and the pc started the next step Got part way though windows installation(near end) and system froze.restarted and the graphics were playing up. Im hoping you can point me in the right direction,would both sticks be failing at same time?would failing graphics be causing this? or is motherboard on way out? I dont have any parts to swap in to test.sorry so long winded but any pointers be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Good news indeed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

According to the specs, you do have onboard vga it's the blue vga connecter port. Diagram - look at the bottom for the Motherboard Layout and you will see it is marked VGA.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Exactly what I thought Lotvic the specs posted show integrated graphics. The statement *Intergrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed, * simply means that if a graphics card is added then on- board graphics are automatically disabled. I think there should be a VGA port on the I/O plate area. If not then perhaps the OP has posted the wrong PC specs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Im a diddy, pleased install went ok, now you can spend rest of day basking in a well earned warm glow of satisfaction :)

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 1

Glad you're sorted. Blanking plate on the onboard VGA port! What a daft idea. Glad the ram is ok as I suspected.

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

yes thanks rdave13,the ram is ok as you suspected,Blanking plate looked part of the case,didnt suspect it was vga at all ;-( found it on the motherboard side after being prompted but it was quite hidden aswell..Alls well that ends well.. so i managed to clean install his laptop and sort his desktop,thanks for the help...hope he buys me a pint at least ha.mates rates pah.

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

many thanks to all,especially lotvic and chronus..indeed there was a vga port couldnt see it from rear as had a blanking plate across it and once i could make it out on the board away it went.For feedback purposes Ive popped the memory back in,removed the graphics card,connected to onboard graphics and is installing Windows as we speak .Thanks again my friend will be over the moon as totally skint.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

What operating system aare you using, which windws

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

finerty, Specs are on page 1 - "Compaq presario sr 2 125uk ,its vista basic" and hopefully problem is fully solved, it seems to have been faulty graphics card.

Im a diddy, Glad display is working now, post back if any more probs :)

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

windows now updated and fully installed...funny how faulty graphics card can display so many symptoms..hey ho thanks alot guys.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'