We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

failing components?how to identify

Im a diddy
Resolved

Likes # 0

Heya,Im looking at a friends Pc for him,hes been having problems of late,not starting up,trying to repair windows installation and failing,only starting in safemode.After brief discussion we decided a fresh install of windows was the way to go,and he dropped it round today However,soon as i started it up the fans were turning but no other sign of life apart from short beep followed by a long beep.Upon googling it,memory appeared to be the cause of it,so i swapped ram sticks(2) in and out,reseated the ram.One stick was preventing it starting removed it and the pc started the next step Got part way though windows installation(near end) and system froze.restarted and the graphics were playing up. Im hoping you can point me in the right direction,would both sticks be failing at same time?would failing graphics be causing this? or is motherboard on way out? I dont have any parts to swap in to test.sorry so long winded but any pointers be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Glad you're sorted. Blanking plate on the onboard VGA port! What a daft idea. Glad the ram is ok as I suspected.

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

yes thanks rdave13,the ram is ok as you suspected,Blanking plate looked part of the case,didnt suspect it was vga at all ;-( found it on the motherboard side after being prompted but it was quite hidden aswell..Alls well that ends well.. so i managed to clean install his laptop and sort his desktop,thanks for the help...hope he buys me a pint at least ha.mates rates pah.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded