We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

failing components?how to identify

Im a diddy
Resolved

Likes # 0

Heya,Im looking at a friends Pc for him,hes been having problems of late,not starting up,trying to repair windows installation and failing,only starting in safemode.After brief discussion we decided a fresh install of windows was the way to go,and he dropped it round today However,soon as i started it up the fans were turning but no other sign of life apart from short beep followed by a long beep.Upon googling it,memory appeared to be the cause of it,so i swapped ram sticks(2) in and out,reseated the ram.One stick was preventing it starting removed it and the pc started the next step Got part way though windows installation(near end) and system froze.restarted and the graphics were playing up. Im hoping you can point me in the right direction,would both sticks be failing at same time?would failing graphics be causing this? or is motherboard on way out? I dont have any parts to swap in to test.sorry so long winded but any pointers be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Some proper system info would help.

What size is the one remaining ram stick you have in? and is it in 'slot 1'?

"windows installation(near end) and system froze" are you sure it 'froze'? how long did you wait?

"restarted and the graphics were playing up" that needs more details for us to go on....

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

Compaq presario sr 2 125uk ,its vista basic,500mb stick left in,not sure which is slot 1?..froze for 30 mins screen went black? upon restart heavy pixalated,then could just about read boot from cd to try a new install but screen went black again.

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

spec states video card and onboard graphics?

would onboard be available too?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes, pull the graphics card and see if you can install windows without it as you do have onboard graphics.

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

ok ill give that a go and post back.

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

how do i connect monitor?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Spec shows *Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed. If no other VGA port at rear then you don't have integrated graphics.

Like this post
Im a diddy

Likes # 0

ok,no rear vga port or motherboard vga.Another thing to add the pc fans were going big style,quite loud but without graphics card installed relatively quiet,does that help?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think it's the graphics card on the way out and not the ram. Reinstall the card and ram and see if you can get to the boot menu screen and leave it there for a while. See if you lose graphics again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Also check that the fan is running on the GPU card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do