We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virus removal

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

W7, Avira free a/v, Malawarebytes, SAS. Today my Avira scan reported a virus soon after the scan started. I clicked to remove it and rebooted as requested. Then Avira asked me to insert the Avira CD to identify the virus. I do not have a CD as it is a free download. I am currently running SAS and Malawarebytes, and will re - run Avira later. Usually Avira finds 4 hidden objects, this time there were 64.

I know one should not have more than one anti virus programme running. I wondered if as a one- off it is worth using another virus scanning programme to double check that it has gone? If so has anyone any advice? I will report back when all scans are run.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try the Avira Forum for help in case it is a false positive.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Board&boardID=140

Or give the free Trend Micro a try for 1 year.Ignore the bank details they dont ask for that.

http://www.trendmicro.eu/brother/EN/GBP/

If they happen to be false positives I would not remove them in case it knackers your computer.If you have run MalwareBytes and SAS and they never found any problems False positives would be a good bet.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You could give the 'second opinion' Hitmanpro from here a run (free version).

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Maybe they mean the Avira Rescue Boot CD. Also a free download. Burn the iso to CD.

If you don't want to keep uninstalling and reinstalling, or enabling disabling. your main AV, these boot discs are useful.

All the AV vendors have them. I quite like Kasperskys.

Or Emsisoft allows install of Scanner only which won't clash with other AV. I use that too as a 2nd opinion. It usually flags up lots of harmless cookies as well as serious threats.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thank you for the replies. So far SAS only found a couple of ad - aware tracking cookies. MBAM still running as is a re-scan with Avira, so far so good. May try Hitmanpro and Emisoft later.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

There are a few stand alone scanners that can be used as a back-up check :- Dr Web Cure It! eScan

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have now run Avira, SAS and Malawarebytes. SAS found and removed 2 ad-aware tracking cookies. I often find SAS finds these, not found by MBAM. The re run of the Avira was clear. I think the first run found and removed the virus. I shall be vigilant and try a couple of the scanners all of you have recommended. Thanks again, will mark as resolved.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Ran without installing Hitmanpro, none detected. Looks as if the problem has gone. Thanks onthelimit1 and all who have responded.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes