We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Overheating, but wont work with new cpu fan??

Varlo

Likes # 0

Hi Guys,

My pc (approx 2 1/2 years old)started overheating a couple weeks ago, shutting down, fan whirring up and restarting, also showing a cpu temp of about 60deg C. I took the case off and gave fans, case vents etc a going over with compressed air which seemed to fix the problem. A couple nights ago same thing happened and on restarting it couldnt get into windows without it shutting down on me. It will however work fine with the case off so i can only assume its an overheat problem. I picked up a new cpu fan and fitted it today, (no problems like a glove), but on turning my computer on it fired up first time ok for a couple minutes then froze completly. Trying to restart it the only life it showed was the fans going. After a bit of head scratching and beer drinking, I refitted the old cpu fan and it is back up and running again (with side case off),but on start up got a message saying overclocking failed?? Any thoughts? i've changed basic components before and never had anything like this happen. Cpu is Intel Core 2 Q9550 quad 2.83ghz, and if it matter 4gb ddr2 ram, Radeon 4800 series graphics card, 1TB hard drive.

Any advice appreciated

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

There are two schools of thought on the way a fan should be facing on a cooler, some go for the drawing the heat away others go for the blowing the heat away.There is a third group of which I am a member and that is the push/pull setup with two fans attached to the cooler. But none of these apply to the OP as he is using a stock cooler and the fan is fixed and cannot installed anyway but the right way way.

Like this post
bgrave

Likes # 0

Are you sure that you have not replaced a three wire (one being a going to a sensor) with a two wire.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

go ito your bios and see how the fans xettings r. Double mke sure you have fie#rmly placed the fan sloted onto the motherboard and double check the fan in the power supply as well as the motherboard and the case fan.

Have you reapplied a good thermal paste artic silver is agood one, I remebr when i took off my motherboard fan to give it a good clean i messd#ed up the pins that slooted into the motherbaord which caused overheating to 99c.

Got a new fan and followed the instructions on the box and repllied artic silver.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Juist a thought the case is it a big case or a small case, the bigger the case the better, if you do decide to change the case make sure its comaputible with the motherboard

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes