We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis advice please.

frybluff

Likes # 0

I am hoping someone can give me some basic advice, on a sensible way to configure backups, to be fairly easy to do, and to use, should I ever have a problem.

I have a Dell XPS, with two, seperate 500GB hard drives. I have online storage which is adequate for critical DATA. I have a 500GB ext drive.

Fairly early on, I had a corruption (probably due to my incompetance when transferring files from old laptop), and had to re-install operating system, and rebuild everything, from scatch, at the same time as being bombarded with dozens of updates. I don't particularly want to go through that again.

I noted several positive comments about Acronis TI, on this site, so have downloaded, initially, a trial version of it. It seems to offer a bewildering array of clever options, most of which go over my head, technically. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I really NEED to do, to ensure that, if, say, I should have a "C" drive failure, recovery will not be too onerous.

I don't tend to do a lot on a daily basis, but may do a reasonable batch of work, over a weekend. Can anyone, perhaps, recommend an article, or literature, which explains the options, in terms that don't require a degree in computing.

Many thanks.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

If validation says they are ok that's all you need to worry about.

I doubt that Windows even recognises the .tib files that you have created;-)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I usually do an anti virus scan and also scans with SAS and MBAM. Then I use Auslogics Defrag before making an image or clone. As long as you validate it should be OK

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I always run the 'One-click Maintenance' using Tune-up 2012, and a quick scan with MSE before creating my ATI Full backup. I always have the last two backups on my external hard drive, deleting the oldest after each backup, automatically validated.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Nontek

I've also got "one click", which is what's warning me of "frag". I've turned off "auto defrag". Suppose I can always do manual defrag of C drive, only, should that become necessary, without "touching" backups. I presume Acronis lays out data, to make it easy to access, to insert additions, that, perhaps, one click maintenance can't understand.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I never actually need to do a defrag - I use Diskeeper (Paid for version) which works continuously keeping my drives defragged at all times.

When I run One-click Maint I usually find that all items are 'green' apart from an occasional, very minor, Reg error or two.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Spoke to Acronis re de-fraging. They recommend NOT to, especially if doing "incremental" backups. They reckon it will prevent increments being done, as intended. System will then effectively do a full backup, instead, which will eat up space. I trust that's not just "spinning a line", but sort of sounds logical!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I do not bother with incremental back ups. I do a full image, and delete the one before last so I always have two latest images. I do not think it takes much more time and saves worrying about a defrag or not.

Like this post
Mike_tech

Likes # 0

You should set up program settings and then Acronis will do backup automatically.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made