We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Genuine or not???

tilly 2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Can anyone please tell me if people who call on the phone saying they are from Windows and claim centres in India and Uk and quoting my address. Saying they have received fault reports from my computer and want to help. Could this be a scam?

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 1

The simple answer Yes

Microsoft does not contact users and in many cases do not even have your home address or phone number

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 1

Yes definitely a scam. Tell them you use Linux and see how quick they hang up!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

It is definitely a scam. Numerous threads about this and items on the web and in the press. I hope that you did not let them get access to your system.

Like this post
tilly 2

Likes # 0

Thank you ALL. No I did not let them get access. He ended up saying you don't like me because I'm Indian, which of course I had never said, He was annoyed because I would not accommodate his request. But its unnerving when they give out your address, but I guess they cannot get into my computer unless I let them.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Just do a google search for: microsoft telephone scam

The scammers don't even know if you have a computer - they just guess and use clever questioning. As long as you only talk on the phone (don't go on pc and download the Remote Control Software they want you to) they can't trace your computer at all.

They get the Phone No: Names and Addresses from telephone directories and online information.

Like this post  
tilly 2

Likes # 0

Thank you very much lotvic. I am grateful for your advice.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just say "What computer?"

Like this post
Andsome

Likes # 1

Just put the phone down and leave the line open, and let them pay for several minutes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback