We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop with webcam for skype

Penny101

Likes # 0

Hello,

I want to give lessons online using Skype and a webcam. Not being very computer savvy, I would like one that is basic, easy to use, and above all reliable.

I would like an HD webcam (built-in?);

good internet connection; wifi;

Qwerty keyboard with number pad and mouse;

basic Word and Excel;

USB and possibly DVD.

NOT for gaming, videos etc, or social media.

Completely confused by all the jargon, so would be very happy with any suggestions.

Thank you,

Penny

Like this post
Penny101

Likes # 0

Back again!

Plan to get the Novatech nSpire 2350 which seems to tick all the boxes mentioned above. Can't find any reviews though.

It is indeed 400 pounnds, with another 90 for Windows 7 and 75 for MS office Home/Student (the cheapest), total 565.

Someone else mentioned Libreoffice - do you know anything about that? Is it easy to use? (Only need very basic Word and Excel.)

Cheers

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Seems like decent kit. I think it must be a fairly new version, hence no user reviews. However, Novatech have a good reputation, so, at least, you can buy with reasonable confidence. Does seem a little pricey, but not excessively so.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Office. It does have some nice features, but there's so much, perfectly adequate, free software available, that I just don't think it's worth the price. But that's just my opinion. I use Kingsoft, which I find user friendly, and it's free.

I would suggest checking out John Lewis, if they have a local branch. They are not as expensive, as people seem to think, plus they give two year guarantee on all their laptops. (plus you can SEE what you are buying). Again, just my opinion.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, good choice, I would say go for it!

A very good Free alternative to Msoft Office is ....

Open Office

Like this post
Penny101

Likes # 0

I'm a great fan of John Lewis; only problem is that I live in Antwerp! Makes everything a bit more tricky, though not impossible. I don't want to buy one here as they all have AZERTY keyboards - the one I'm using at the moment doesn't even have a pound sign! Pfff!

The laptop and Windows 7 without MS Office comes to 490 pounds, which is roughly what I was expecting to spend. And I'm sure I'll make good use of their free technical support!

Thanks for the Kingsoft / Open Office tips. I shall go and investigate.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Advantage with the freebies, of course, is you can download one, try it, and "throw it away", if you don't like it, and try another one.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Best thing I've found for Skype is an iPad. Camera front and rear,

Noldi

Like this post
Penny101

Likes # 0

Not sure camera at rear is wise ;-)

Thanks for all help and suggestions,

Penny

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...