We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop with webcam for skype

Penny101

Likes # 0

Hello,

I want to give lessons online using Skype and a webcam. Not being very computer savvy, I would like one that is basic, easy to use, and above all reliable.

I would like an HD webcam (built-in?);

good internet connection; wifi;

Qwerty keyboard with number pad and mouse;

basic Word and Excel;

USB and possibly DVD.

NOT for gaming, videos etc, or social media.

Completely confused by all the jargon, so would be very happy with any suggestions.

Thank you,

Penny

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

What is your budget??

Virtually any new laptop will do what you want. I would suggest you have a look at Novatech (just Google Novatech), then you can browse through their laptops at your leisure.

I have just bought a top of the range laptop from them for £660, with Win7, an i5 CPU and built-in Webcam, plus a Free laptop case, very nice one too - but you have to be cheeky and ask for the freebie!

Like this post
Penny101

Likes # 0

Thanks, I'll have a look at them.

Budget - I could go up to 700 max but would prefer 500 or under (and maybe half a case!) Quality is more important, I'd like a reliable one that will last a long time. I don't know if price relates to basic quality or only functionality (and a lot of stuff I probably don't need)?

Cheers

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Novatech are very well known within the PCA Forums, and are renowned for the quality of both their Products and their Service.

Also, their Laptops/Desktops etc are not loaded up with unnecessary Bloatware or Trial programs, only get what you ask for.

You should be able to get a decent laptop for around £400, that will do all you want.

I would look for a good CPU (the Heart of the PC), preferably one with i3, i5 or i7 in its description. A fair sized Hard drive, say 500Gb or more, and at least 4Gb RAM - and of course your built-in Webcam.

Good luck.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Note that many manufacturers don't specify the quality of the webcam, they just say "built-in webcam". If they were incorporating a "decent" one, they would say 1.3MP or 2MP. Having said that, you can always get a separate, quality webcam, for £30 or £40. Logitech have some very good ones, at a reasonable price. Bear in mind, the quality, over Skype, is as much to do with broadband speed.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As a matter of interest, my built-in webcam is 1.3MP

Like this post
Penny101

Likes # 0

LOVE the thought of a guff-free computer!

Skype say that to get HD video I'll need an HD quality webcam, internet connection minimun 512 kbits/s (not a problem) and a dual core processor.

Does HD quality webcam mean a certain number of megapixels?

Dual core processor - would that be any of the i3, i5, i7 range?

And what about screen resolution (for a 15.6" screen)?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I don't think there is a "cut-off", in terms of MP. I wouldn't recommend using anything less than 1MP. Above that, it's a question of how "professional" you want the outgoing quality to be. If you are just concerned about having decent quality "face to face" contact, 1.3MP is a commonly used rating, and is perfectly adequate. You mention "lessons", but don't say what. If that involves, say, showing diagrams, it may be worth getting 2MP, or above. That quality, built in, is normally reserved for the more expensive laptops, but you can buy seperate, quality webcams surprisingly cheaply.

i3 is perfectly adequate. You don't need anything "higher", for your stated requirements, unless you are wanting to run several things at once.

Your screen resolution only affects the picture you receive. You don't NEED a HD screen, unless you want to watch movies, or do photo editing, or play games.

Don't forget, the quality your students actually receive, is limited by their equipment, as well.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Don't worry, everything I have mentioned and as explained by frybluff, more than covers Skype requirements.

As far as I am aware, the "i" range of CPUs are the latest and certainly among the best.

Like this post
Penny101

Likes # 0

Really helpful information and explanations - thank you both :)

Penny

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

£400 should be adequate, especially if you are prepared to shop around online. Most of the main sites are reliable, but do check out SELLER reviews, especially if using somehere like Amazon marketplace, or ebay. When you see something you "fancy", you can always come back here, for a second opinion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

What's new in VR: the companies creating exciting new mixes of augmented and virtual reality

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...