We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Linux installed, now lost drive

Blubottle

Likes # 0

I decided to play with Linux so I downloaded Ubuntu live onto Cd (I S O ), on my system I have one primary drive and two other drives which I use for extra storage, I formatted one of these drives and installed Ubuntu onto it, after a reboot this drive disappeared and does not show in Bios,what have I done wrong?. Regards

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

What happens if you run Ubuntu as a live CD. Can you see the drive then?

Are these physical hard drives, or are they simply partitions that appear as drives in Windows?

If they're hard drives, are they sata or IDE?

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Hi last chip, I have'nt run the live cd since I loaded onto the drive so I cannot answer that one, both my spare drives are physical IDE, the primary is SATA.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

When you reboot, are you booting into Windows or Linux? What boot loader are you using? You can install Ubuntu in different ways (full install, running under Windows etc). Which type if install did you perform?

What format did you use for the Ubunut drive? Many formats are not recognised by Windows.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

The concern is, you say you cannot see the drive in the BIOS. That doesn't suggest an operating system problem, but more of a physical hard drive or connection problem.

If Ubuntu is on an IDE drive, is it master or slave?

Take a look from the live CD and see if you can see the drive.

If it doesn't appear in the BIOS, I suspect you won't.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Yes my feelings as well, I just find it strange that a perfectly healthy HD should do this after a simple procedure, Drives do fail but this was working perfectly well before I wiped and formatted it and installed Ubuntu on it. I suppose I'm scratching around for answers.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Yes my feelings as well, I just find it strange that a perfectly healthy HD should do this after a simple procedure, Drives do fail but this was working perfectly well before I wiped and formatted it and installed Ubuntu on it. I suppose I'm scratching around for answers.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Sorry I did not include in last post, I dd a straight forward full install install from the live Ubuntu cd onto a freshly formatted drive whilst my other drives were disconnected

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

When you format a drive to use Ubuntu, it uses a different format to windows and so windows will not see it.

If you want to recover the Harddrive, you might need to use a hard drive partitioner like Paragon, so windows can see it again, or if you know the maker of the harddrive, download a disk formatter from them and re-format your disk.

Caution- These normally use a low level format (dos)and it will format the whole drive , so if you have more than one partition on that drive you will lose them all.

Terry

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

My guess would be that you disturbed something when you were connecting/disconnecting the drives. Might be worth refitting all connectors again.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Terry Brown, How can I format HD if I can't see it ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features