We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Open programs

tonyt1151
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am unable to open more than 1 program from icons on desktop on my Dell laptop. This started yesterday.If I open a program from the desktop I then can't open further ones without restarting laptop. I can open further programs from start menu or from taskbar ok. I have made no changes to system apart from removing the password on start up

Like this post
tonyt1151

Likes # 0

I have tried safe mode and the problem doesn't appear to happen. I have also found that it only seems to happen when using desktop shortcuts that take me on-line eg ebay,facebook,skygo. I have looked at task manager but not sure what you would call a lot of memory etc. I am running W7 home premium 64bit

Like this post
tonyt1151

Likes # 0

Sorry I meant to add I don't have a windows disc - it came pre-loaded

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not had Google Chrome by any chance? That can cause the problem with Desktop Internet Shortcuts that you describe. Anyway you have to reset your Default Browser the correct way to make it 'stick'.

Excerpt from page 3 answers.microsoft.com "On the first page of Set Program Access 3 choices: Microsoft Windows, Non Microsoft, Custom. The Custom was always the default but I clicked on Microsoft Windows and then clicked Custom on that page and selected IE"

Like this post
tonyt1151

Likes # 0

Not had or been anywhere near Chrome. Have looked at program access settings. It always defaults to custom and in that always defualts to "use my current web browser". If I change to Microsoft Windows it automatically defaults back to the same custom setting

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do a web search for: W7 home premium 64bit set default browser

Looking at the results I got there seems to be so many ways/problems in setting default browser it seems fruitless for me to suggest anything further.

Like this post
tonyt1151

Likes # 0

After wading through loads of posts on various sites I did a repair on Internet Explorer which so far seems to have rsolved issue. IE - tools - internet options - advanced - reset

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Thanks for letting us know, it will help others with same prob :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK