We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advise on this build please

Gimme_Cake

Likes # 0

Hi, I am pretty much new to building to this computing stuff, yet I have always been interested in computers. I am aware of how the different parts work, what they do etc etc. Therfore, please may I have some help on whther or not these parts are compatible with each other, good value etc?

RAM- Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit (2x4GB)

Case - EVO LABS EX8818 ATX Gaming Desktop PC Computer Case with 3 Blue LED Fans - Luxurious Black.

Additional fan: COOLERMASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP Blue LED 120mm Case Fan Power Supply- ANTEC TruePower ATX PSU - 750W

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard (Socket 1155, ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth Module)

Processor (CPU) - Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Core i7 Quad-Core Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache, Socket 1155)

Optical Drives - Blu-Ray -Samsung SH-B123L 12x Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer, DVD Drive - HP DVD1260i Internal SATA DVD Writer

Graphics Card - Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card

Sound Card - CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series 7.1 Ch PCIe Sound Card

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (Not too sure if I need this. Isn't Windows 8 coming out soon?)

Cooling System - Intel STS100C Thermal Solution (Combo) for Xeon 5xxx Series (Socket 1366) Processors

Hard Drive - Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 3.5-inch 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s Drive (64MB Buffer,5900RPM)

Any Advice/Help/Insults (:P) would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Seems quite a nice set up but a bit confused about your cooling system,it says for socket 1366 but your CPU is socket 1155 might want to check in to that.

Do not see PSU mentioned. I not sure that you need Windows 7 Ultimate,the home edition will be enough. As for Windows 8 I cannot give an opinion as have not tried it but I believe that it is an operating system for tablets and touch screens. Mainly but as I say I really do not know.

Sound card, not really sure if that s really necessary as on board sound is pretty decent these days, but of course that is your choice.

I tend to favour 2 hard-drives as opposed to one big drive as if the hard-drive fails you could loose everything but if you have two drives then one can back up the other which means you won't lose anything,again this is your choice.

Like this post
Gimme_Cake

Likes # 0

Hi there, Good call, thanks for that mate.

This is the power supply, which i did post it but my presentational skills suck :D Power Supply- ANTEC TruePower ATX PSU - 750W

Thanks for the sound card and hard drive advice. I think I may keep the sound card, but I understand your point. Also, thanks for the tip with the hard drive (didn't think of that). Do you think I should get two the same size, or one with quite a lot of space and one with a small amount?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Two the same size is probably best,or as I have a 128 GB SSD and a 1TB hard-drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...