We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clearing up in Start-up?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Finding that the computer was taking longer to start-up, I decided to make a few changes and deletions.

Three 'start-ups' are causing a question about disabling or removal, and internet search's seem to offer different solutions, so I am hoping for a rescue plan from the forum?.

CTFMON.EXE (Windows XP) KernelFaultCheck (Which seems to have differing solutions?) Driver Max RESTART (Which doesn't want to disable)

Any advice regarding how essential the above are, and how should I disable or remove Driver Max RESTART from the Start-up list?.

As usual, many thanks to those able to offer advice.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What program are you using Ccleaner?

I usually disable to observe the effect and if happy then delete.

CTFMON.EXE is part of office and may well keep coming back I have deleted no problems with office occurred.

KernelFaultCheck I also deleted

I go annoyed with drivermax and uninstalled it, use drive genius now.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

CTFMON.EXE Read this.

KernelFaultCheck Try this.

Driver Max By the look of it it checks for newer version of drivers; informs and helps install them. In my opinion these programs are a waste of time and in my experience can cause more problems than they solve. So I say uninstall it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If I remember correctly, Driver Max has two parts of it. One is a 'manager' that starts with windows to detect and send information about your drivers. Can't remember what it's called but you can disable it in msconfig if you don't want to uninstall DM. Restart it if you need to update. Personally I'd go with Chronus and uninstall it and remove what's left. I only find DM useful if I need to install drivers on an older machine.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you think that all your drivers are up to date.I would remove Driver max.

When using XP it used to use 100% of the CPU in small spurts but enough of a nuisance for me to remove it.

If you have Office downloaded I would just leave CTFMON.EXE as it will probably come back every reboot.

rdave13. I just got rid of D/M because it was showing the same updates all of the time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, you have all been most helpful.

I have remove Driver Max completely using Revo. And disabled the other two. What I couldn't understand, is that I do not have Office on the computer. Unless Microsoft Works is classing itself as Office?.

Now to another 4 that I would like advice about, and whether I should disable. Acronis Scheduler 2 Service - Abode ARM - SunJava Update Scheduler - True Image Monitor.exe

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

True image monitor - No

Acronis Scheduler - No if you want to schedule back ups

Other two yes ARM see here

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Adobe ARM is the Adobe update manager, so safe to disable as is Java update.

True image monitor:Can be disabled without affecting TrueImage.

Acronis Scheduler: Read this.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, thank you for the response and the link, most helpful.

I will now do as you have suggested.

Thanks again to everyone, will now tick as resolved.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Chronus, thanks for the link, it was very interesting to read.

Like this post  
Batch

Likes # 0

Not sure what (if anything) you've done about CTFMON, but I followed just the instructions at 2a in Chronus's CTFMON link and it seems to have done the job on my 3 XP machines (one of which has Word & Excel from Office 2000 and Visio from Office 2003, one just has Word & Excel from Office 2000, the other doesn't have anything from any version of Office). It seems to have stopped CTFMON running on all 3 machines.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015