We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What can I watch on TV?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

No, this isn't something that belongs on speakers corner! Recently after many years of use the old CRT TV finally went off to seek its maker courtesy of the council recyclers, and I was left needing a new one. It wasnt a good time for an expensive purchase - is there ever? - so after some online searching I dug out all the clubcard vouchers, hopped over to tesco's and bought this:

Tesco technika TV

I still have some issues with it that I have to resolve. One of which is that it has a USB socket on it which according to the recieved blurb enables it to play media from a memory stick or other external storage. What information I have been able to uncover about this has been somewhat limited being the tidbit that external drives have to be formatted to FAT32 as it will not recognise NTFS. A minor hassle, but no biggie. It will display jpegs fine, as a slideshow, play mp3s ok, (even if the speakers arent very good for that sort of thing, but as yet I have been unable to play movie files on it. Does anyone have any ideas about file formats for playback on these devices?

WTM

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I believe you will find that the USB port on a TV is mainly for firmware updates for sure and some support limited media playback.I very much doubt that a Tesco TV,buy cheap in bulk and sell cheap policy,will be able to show videos via the USB port. I would have thought your manual would have answered your questions.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I use my laptop plugged into the VGA socket (plus an audio lead) for all that sort of viewing.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

For some time, copyright issues have usually meant TV/video equipment only allows you to watch from USB if it was recorded from that equipment in the first place.

So check if you can record to USB (FAT32).

I suppose the blurb could also mean hooking up an external USB DVD player and playing Commercial discs.

Or the blurb may be plain wrong or correct for foreign markets and just copy and pasted onto Tesco system.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have a 22" in bedroom that doesn't have USB (2 years old)

Mother has a 19" (year old) with USB plays Xvid and MP4 files may also play others, haven't tried yet.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Doesn't Tesco advertise that they now have a team of experts, for answering questions on these type of products they sell. Perhaps a contact there might help?.

I know before, it was a case of Tesco customer services, referring people to the manufacturer's, for help, advice and support. So that as possibly all changed now?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The user guide pdf I saw is not a lot of use, it doesn't list the file types. Found a bit of info on what you can play digitalworldz.co.uk forum

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...