We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Maxtor hdd - unknown device and doesnt ask for drivers?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

My external hard drive was working 100% up until today, and for no good reason upon connecting today to any usb port, it tells me it is an unknown device. The drive still whirrs when I connect the cable. What should I do? Windows simply says to try reconnecting it, or replace it. Reconnecting just gives me the same message. 500GB of data gone, and I was all set to get a second hdd as a secondary backup soon too :( any ideas on how to fix? thanks

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

ok, I know I said I would never add another reply, but I have finally found out the true cause of the failing external hard drive-it was a loose or poor usb port/connection on the external hdd, so all the leads I had were identical that I had tried before. I finally found this out as the drive was connected yesterday and wasnt being recognized-at the same time I decided to gently move the usb cable at the end where it connects to the drive. The light on the drive switched on and off, and was eventually recognized fully once again. Unfortunately by gently moving the usb at this point, it has spelled the end of the drive, or at least on it being able to recognize the hdd even less likely. I found a guide on being able to at least being able to open the casing of a basics drive, which might be handy if anyone has a similar maxtor drive and wants to get to the hdd inside and knows how to re-solder the usb port connection, if thats the sole cause.

The usb port does not seem loose even with the casing removed, but as Im not an electrician,aside from being able to remove the hdd from its casing, I think Ill leave the opening of the actual hdd itself to check the port to someone else, but the port is definately the problem :) case closed! :) thanks for all the replies

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...