We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broken usb ports

Nuneatonian

Likes # 0

My son has an Acer laptop, unfortunately both his usb ports are broken. Is there an adaptor or something to turn the blue port into a usb port? Don't want to have to pay for a huge expense of having to have a major repair or a complete motherboard. He cannot use anything with usb connection including his mouse.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Nuneatonian

Likes # 0

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately his lap top does not have a PCMCIA slot.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

blue port ?

I assume you mean the vga output, if so then the answer is no.

Model number of the Acer?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, I think it is pretty rare for USB ports to break - perhaps all that is needed is to update the USB Drivers ....

To update USB Drivers - in Devices, uninstall all USB items, then re-start the computer. The drivers will be automatically re-installed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I think it is pretty rare for USB ports to break

Unfortunately not! Seen quite a few ham fisted kids mostly but adults too.

They get pushed off the board with the constant plugging in and out.

At least the solder breaks and they can be re-soldered, at worst they actually break off the motherboard and then its a new board required.

Sometimes rarely the actual contacts in the port get damage.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

I bow to and accept, your superior knowledge, it is just that I have only been a computer enthusiast for about 12 years, during which time I have never come across an actual broken USB Port.

Though I still think updating drivers in Devices, is worth a try.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I see the broken USBs on laptops never on a desktop.

As we don't know exactly what he means by "broken" updating drivers may well be worth a try.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As we don't know exactly what he means by "broken"

Exactly, hence my driver suggestion!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

how many usb ports does have on the acer 3 or 4 or 2 how many and have tested all of them, do you still have the driver disc, we can only help if you give us more input

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

finerty

When he says 'both', that indicates he only has two! Driver disk is irrelevant.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?