We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Full Systems Back Up

johnoo

Likes # 0

I take regular backups of "My Documents" folder onto a microvault USB Flashdrive. But I have never carried out a full Backup of my "C Drive" I keep a note of all of the Programs that I have downloaded. Questions 1 Is it worth it? 2 Is the best & easiest way onto a External Hard Drive?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

whne i ust ot reinstalls somtimes when you update the software thses days you have to sign up for it now, specially the fres stuff from file hippo dot com such as avast. otherwise it wont allow you to install.

even for a quick reinstall of xp can take up to half an hour, with acronis your looking at most 2 minutes.

Like this post
johnoo

Likes # 0

s Acronis easy to use? Do I just Download it, plug in an external drive or USB Flash drive. Select Acronis to run, Select full back up to external drive. Wait & be told it's done?

Or is there more to it than that?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do a google for 'acronis true image guide' to learn how to use it.

If any of your harddrives are Seagate or Maxtor you can d/load their free version of Acronis from the Seagate Website. You can download both or just the pdf guide from DiscWizard this (Seagate Acronis) guide comes with screenshots so is easy to follow.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

johnoo

I have used this on XP for several years.

XXClone

I have a second internal HDD onto which I backup. It is free, but it costs a one off £15-£20 ( I think) to enable the version to do incremental backups.

In my mind far simpler than Acronis as it makes a bootable clone.

When the PC boots and before Windows starts it gives the option of booting from the clone HDD. No messing with CDs etc. So if C has a problem -reboot and start the other HDD. You can then sort out C problems at your leisure. You can clone to an external which I also do, but externals are not bootable.

Incidentally getting the link I notice there is a 2012 version out.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

And I see it now covers Vista and Win 7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes