We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC won't fire up

okwhenitworks

Likes # 0

My aging PC won't fire up. Starting from urned off at socket when I switch socket on the fans start and the disc light comes on but it does not start up. Previous to this for about a week it kept crashing but would work for a while at a time. I'm going to replace it with a laptop but how can I get files off old PC if it wont fire up?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Old Pc check the air vents for Dust and fluff if so inside will need cleaning as well.Amazing how much dust and fluff a computer will gather after a year or two.

keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and go to safe mode with nettworking to see if it will work on there.or last good configuration or system restore all in safe mode.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you can't get it going, remove the hard drive and connect to your new laptop with a caddy or cable. I use something like this adaptor

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

"Previous to this for about a week it kept crashing but would work for a while at a time!!!!!"

That was the time to ask for help, but as onthelimit1 says remove the hard-drive and either use a caddy or adapter to get access to your file. you might also want to think about backing up your files in the future. Then if your PC does fail you at least have your files elsewhere.

Like this post
okwhenitworks

Likes # 0

Thanks! I'd tried cleaning the fluff out and there was a lot. Could have contributed / cuased problem but cleaning it out hasn't helped. Glad to hear that there is a way of connecting old hard drive to salvage files. Bit crap with technology but sure I'll find a mate that cna help with that one.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just checked my link - the adaptor I pointed to is SATA only - and older drive may well be IDE. There are adaptors that will connect to either, eg this one

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

when I switch socket on the fans start and the disc light comes on but it does not start up.

Could be a few things:

Faulty PSU - will it boot from a linux cd?

Corrupt boot files on hard drive - will beable to get data from drive using linux cd and mem stick.

failed hard drive (mech / elec) - worse case data not recoverable.

bad motherboard / psu - put drive in caddy and use another machine to extract data.

loose or bad memory - remove and refit / try one stick at a time.

graphics card loose or dead - remove refit retry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......