We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Home Network With Mac OS X 10.7.3 and Windows XP

Big Trev

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a mac running OSX 10.7.3, attached to which is a printer. I have two other PCs in the house, each running XP SP3. How do I set up a home network so we can share files and the printer?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Click here for information about how to set up file sharing.

Click here for information about how to share the printer.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As you've got OSX 10.7.3 (the latest version of Lion), it should find the "shared" folders in the Windows PCs without you having to do anything additional. In Finder's menu, just select "Go > Network" and it should find the Windows PCs. To Share the Mac's folders go into System Preferences then, in the Internet & Wireless section, click the Sharing icon and tick File Sharing and Printer Sharing. To share a particular folder, right click and "Get Info" then tick the box to share the folder.

Like this post
Big Trev

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. I've got file sharing going, but I can't get the Windows PCs to see the printer. Is there an address it can be found at?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I have only ever done it the other way round - a printer connected to a Windows PC and shared so the Mac can use it. If you need an address, presumably you could use the Mac's IP address, although you might have to allocate a fixed address.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days