We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

acer aspire 7720 shutting down without prompt

splinter44

Likes # 0

Hi I have a acer aspire 7720 laptop running windows 7 home edition.It has started shutting down without any prompts. This can happen after a couple of hours or it can be ok for a couple of days. I can recover work done through Open Office but work in progress with emails etc is lost. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Roger

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

IS it shutting down completely or rebooting - (shut down and restart)

On mains or just on battery?

Autoreboot Disable

1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel. Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

2. Click on the System and Security link. Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window.

10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

Usual cause of shut downs is overheat / dead batteries

Like this post
splinter44

Likes # 0

Many thanks Fruit bat. The laptop shuts down completely and does not reboot. I am using the laptop on mains as the battery only lasts minutes when switched to it. I thought this may be causing the problem so I have removed it from the laptop but the problem still occurs. I will work my way through your suggestions and let you know what the outcome is. once again thanks for your prompt reply.s

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Overheating?

Like this post
splinter44

Likes # 0

I will check when it shuts down again, but nothing seems to be getting hot.What would cause overheating..processor...hard drive? thanks roger

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Blocked grills / fan / heatsink furred up

• open the big cover on the bottom for the memory slots - it covers everything: processor(s), memory clots etc.

4 screws, the cover also held by snapping little plastic tabs, do not be afraid to open but be rather careful, do not just yank it open, you will see the fan facing back of the laptop in the corner, it suppose to blow through the heat sink.

• remove the fan, 3 screws, the screws are very little so be careful, you will see the inner side of the sink more likely coverd with lint, dust etc.

• carefully remove using tweezers and blow using canned compress air dust remover or hair dryer on cold setting.

• assemble back in reversed order.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...