We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Volume Information files

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

In my c: drive about 10 gig is used for "System Volume Information" files like these: {da7a5c31-892c-11e1-941e-1103d399dd94}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}. What are these files and are they all needed?

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

From MSDN:-

In the root of every drive is a folder called "System Volume Information". If your drive is NTFS, the permissions on the folder are set so not even administrators can get in there. What's the big secret?

The folder contains information that casual interference could cause problems with proper system functioning. Here are some of the things kept in that folder. (This list is not comprehensive.) •System Restore points. You can disable System Restore from the "System" control panel. • Distributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your shortcuts and linked documents. • Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searches. This is also the source of the cidaemon.exe process: That is the content indexer itself, busy scanning your files and building its database so you can search for them quickly. (If you created a lot of data in a short time, the content indexer service gets all excited trying to index it.) •Information used by the Volume Snapshot Service (also known as "Volume Shadow Copy") so you can back up files on a live system. •Longhorn systems keep WinFS databases here.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It contains all your Restore Points data.

You can get in for a mooch if you like to know what goes on under the hood. But don't touch anything in there.

Depending on your OS XP or Vista/7 you can delete old Restore Points or all of them and start again.

Ccleaner is one way (all but last)

I have a shortcut to Create a Restore Point in W7. That allows configuration and deletion too.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

Mea culpa. Should have said W7 Ultimate 64 bit. I will read up on how to get rid of too many restore points. My system partition theoretically only has programme files but using TreeSize Free etc I have about 60 gig in there; about 28 for Windows and over 10 for these things.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more