We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Pavillion dv6000 won't turn on

5starred

Likes # 0

Hi all I wonder if anyone would be able to help me? I'm having an serious issue with my HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop. It is now at the point that it will not switch on at all. I have tried the following things so: power / drain down (remove battery and power supply, hold in on / off button for 30 secs - no joy) and clean of fan (no joy). All that happens now is when the power supply is plugged in the blue led lights up when the power supply meets the laptop and also the power button flashes with a blue led. I've called HP and as its out of warranty a repair will be £310 (the laptop ain't worth that now). Please can someone help me???

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

One thing to try is to remove/replace the RAM modules. BUT, that version of laptop has a history of failing graphics chips on the mobo. HP did eventually admit the problem some years ago, and replaced the mobo's free of charge . That is no longer available - out of time. There are some bizarre cures on the internet which involve reflowing the solder on the mobo by cooking it. It is very definitely a last ditch thing to try when everything else has failed, and may not work for long. It also involves a complete strip of the laptop. I tried it on one dead HP, and it is working at the moment.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Does it sound as though it is starting but there is just a black screen.Or just no sound at all.

I am sure the dv6000 was under recall a few years back but cannot remember what the main problem was.

Go trough the same routine once more.Unplug the battery and power source.This time hold the start switch in for 1 minute while gripping a radiator with the other hand. Then just plug the power cable back in without the battery being connected.Once more press the start button while gripping the radiator at the same time.

it worked a few times for me so worth another try.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Why grip the radiator??

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I guess the theory is to get rid of static.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Beta

Tried it without touching the radiator and it would not work.Tried it touching the radiator and it did.

Like onthelimit1 says it may help with the removal of static.

This is just my own theory and because it did work that way I would try it again if the need occurs.

Like this post
5starred

Likes # 0

Buteman it makes no sound at all, can't hear the fan or anything else. Will try the suggestions so thanks for that. When I callef HP today they said that the battety might be under recall so I will need to follow this up.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Googled.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=HP+Pavillion+dv6000+battery+recall&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

They should be able to give the Notebook model codes of the recall batteries to see if yours matches.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......