We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best 17" laptop for around £600 - have narrowed it down to 2?

spunout

Likes # 0

After days and days of reading reviews for a 17" multi media laptop, primarily to be used for surfing the net, streaming and watching movies and photo editing I have narrowed it down to 2:

Dell inspiron 17R or the HP Probook 4730s - does anyone have any views or advice on this. It would greatly appreciated (specs below)

Dell COLOUR CHOICE LCD Back Cover : Diamond Black Switch Cover
Base Inspiron N7110 (FCG43) - i5-2450 (2.50GHz, 3MB cache, Dual Core)
Memory 6144MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x4096 + 1x2048]
Processor 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor(2.50 GHz,3M cache with Turbo Boost 2.0 upto 3.10)
Hard Drive 750GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Drive
Video Card 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 525M
CD ROM/DVD ROM 8X DVD=/-RW Drive including Software
Wireless Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth v3.0+HS Card
Primary Battery Primary 6-cell 48W/HR LI-ION
LCD 17.3" (44 cm) High Definition+ (1600X900) WLED TrueLife
Microsoft Application Software MS Office 2010 Starter (Word Starter, Excel Starter)

HP Probook 17.3" Diagonal LED 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5-2410M 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 640GB 7200 rpm SATA II DVD + /-RW SuperMulti Windows 7 Professional Mobile Intel HM65 Express AMD Radeon HD 6490M Atheros 802.11b/g/n WiFi Bluetooth 3.0 HD Webcam SRS Premium Sound

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If I was choosing it would have to be the Dell, better CPU,bigger hard-drive and I believe they have very good customer support whereas HP have absolute rubbish customer support.

The Dell I am assuming will come with Windows 7 plus it has Office starter so yes the Dell for me.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I agree with Chronus, also HP will no doubt be full of Bloatware, some of which may be difficult, though not impossible, to remove.

Like this post
spunout

Likes # 0

Thanks, though now I have just discovered the Acer Aspire AS7750G-6645 which seems to have comparable specs for about £100 less!??!!?!?! Arrrggghhhh

Like this post
Bike-it

Likes # 0

I too was recently looking for a good spec 17" laptop and i went for a custom build Sony Vaio, from new it has not missed a beat really happy with it. we had three 17" Dell studio laptops at home and all three kept breaking down they all needed new batteries, screens, two needed new keyboards and one needed new fans fitted,

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

My experience of Acer has been excellent. My old Aspire (nearly 6yr old now) has been totally reliable and gets 5/6 hours daily use with several boot ups, lid open/closing and so on.

The weak point on the older Aspire was the hinges stiffening and lids cracking. 12 months ago I removed the screen bezel and worked some grease into the hinges... and it's been great.

Look after it and it will look after you. Even the battery seems to have the original capacity which is surprising but true.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I agree with mooly - 3 Acer laptops in the family and no problems (oldest about 7yrs old)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad