We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

QuadCore 2.9Ghz whats the alternative CPU please?

tomtu

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me please what is the equivalent CPU to my "Quadcore Extreme" 2.9Ghz chip with today's processors please?

please bare in mind it was the top of the range when it was made a couple of years ago hence the "Extreme" label...if its not another quad chip which hex core would match it?

Thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You will have to give more details of your CPU as "Quadcore Extreme covers a few different processors.Take your pick.

Like this post
tomtu

Likes # 0

Chronus Many thanks for that ive now located the correct CPU i had! i dont have the pc here so it was hard to guess, Anyways here is the cpu:

Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6800 (8M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I think I would opt for the i7 Extreme.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What is your budget? What is your main use for your PC?

Like this post
tomtu

Likes # 0

Its a replacement from my insurance from a Dell XPS, they have tried fobbing me off with a i3 then an i5 processor so i am kinda trying to make them understand my cpu was one of the "Extreme" chips but they are telling me its not about the model or type its the speed??? im on a "Like for Like" basis..so i think asking for a "Extreme" chip is acceptable its insured for £2000...Thanks guys!

Like this post
tomtu

Likes # 0

BTW sorry i forgot i use it for gaming! i have a BF3 server so it needs to be a decent cpu..

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Then a Nontek has said the i7 extreme is the chip to go for. Typical insurance company actions. Stick to your guns. Good luck.

Like this post
tomtu

Likes # 0

Chronus thanks! i just wanted an opinion from an outsider so thanks for that! :-)

Like this post
tomtu

Likes # 0

Just had a call from them they are "Considering" my request but have stated i may have to start the complaint procedure??? i only want what i am or should be entitled too?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......