We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intel processor comparison

supersnad

Likes # 0

Intel i3 processor 8gb ram or intel i5 processor 4gb ram. Which would be the better buy in a desktop? Brian

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

What do you plan on doing with the new PC ?

Ashley

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I'd probably choose the i5 system. RAM is rather cheap at the moment, you can buy a 4GB stick of DDR3 1333MHz for £14 such as from here, so you might find you can afford both.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Depends on your operating system, if it's 32 bit then it is pointless having any more than 4GB, if you are going to use 64 bit then go for 8 GB.

As has been said it really depends on what you use your PC for, I have both chips on differen PC's obviousl, the i3 is in my wife's PC who does nothing more strenuous than play hidden object games, whilst I have a i5 2500K as I play the latest FPS'S's and with a decent graphics card is an excellent choice.

I might just add that there are different i3 and i5 processors each has numbers following the i3/i5 so that can make a difference also.

As D@ve quite rightly says ram is pretty cheap so if you need to add extra that should not be a problem.

Sent from my iPad.

Like this post
supersnad

Likes # 0

I usually use my computer for surfing the net mainly and e- mailing Brian

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Then a old Pentium 4 will do that as there is very little computing power needed to surf and email.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Might as well just get an H61 motherboard + a Pentium G620 (or maybe even a Celeron G540 or G530, with 4GB of RAM.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite