We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop HDD replacement

Chuffchuffbuff
Resolved

Likes # 0

I want to replace the HDD in my daughter's Acer laptop. I can make backup disks from the current drive can I use these to install the OS onto the replacement drive?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Be careful of the difference between a Backup and a Clone.

You really need to Clone the drive

When you use the Disk Clone tool, you copy all contents of one hard disk drive onto another hard disk drive: as a result, both the source and the target disk have the same data. This function allows you to transfer all the information (including the operating system and installed programs) from a small hard disk drive to a large one without having to reinstall and reconfigure all of your software. Disk Clone operation it is not generally used as a backup strategy, as it offers little flexibility.

In general, disk clone is a one time operation designed to clone one disk to a different one for the purpose of migrating to a larger hard drive or to a new machine.

Like this post  
Strawballs

Likes # 1

You can download a program to do this from the maker of the drive you end up buying that are usually based on Acronis which is highly recommended on here.

Like this post
Chuffchuffbuff

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your advice, I'll buy Acronis and go ahead.

Donald

Like this post
Chuffchuffbuff

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. I assumed the system backup / rescue disk which Acer tell you to create when you get the laptop could be used. I will try cloning before i swap drives. Is there a recommended program to use, preferably shareware or freeware? I would prefer not to have to buy an expensive program I'll probably only use once.

Donald.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...