We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Losing wired connection to otherwise functional Orange Livebox

SonofRojBlake

Likes # 0

I have an Orange Livebox connecting my home to the internet. I connect to it from the following: - my desktop PC (wired connection) - my XBox 360 (wired connection) - any of two or three laptops (wireless connections) - either of two iPhones (wireless connection) - Nintendo Wii (wireless connection).

On a fairly regular basis, the connection to the PC fails. The Livebox continues to function perfectly well, XBox games are not interrupted, net surfing on the phones and laptops can continue unaffected. The PC just loses its connection.

It is NOT a physical connection problem, because turning the Livebox off and back on again solves the issue.

I have tried replacing cables, I have tried replacing the network card in my old PC, and eventually replaced the PC entirely (it was ready). The problem persists. When first switched on, the PC and Livebox work perfectly well. They continue to work perfectly well for anything between five minutes and five hours, but at unpredictable intervals, sometimes even between individual pages on the same website, the PC just stops being able to see the Livebox at all. Powercycling the Livebox always fixes the issue, but interrupts the connection for all the other gadgetry (Xbox especially).

Any ideas?

Like this post
SonofRojBlake

Likes # 0

OK have disabled IPv6. Problem still exists. Will contact Orange.

Like this post
SonofRojBlake

Likes # 0

Have contacted Orange, they're sending me a Brightbox. Thanks. Will report back on progress in due course...

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Excellent - just one other thought I assume that you had a new ethernet cable when you bought your new PC?

Like this post
SonofRojBlake

Likes # 0

Have tried many ethernet cables, before and since new computer...

More after Brightbox...

Like this post
Micknunn

Likes # 0

I'm having exactly the same problem as the original poster. Live box loses internet connection when using my Windows 7 PC, all wireless devices such as laptop, and other PC using wireless connection remain working.

Little internet access icon on bottom right of screen changes to yellow, and says no internet access. Only way to get it working is to unplug power from livebox. When I unplug the power from livebox, the little icon turns red, so the livebox is still talking to PC. Plug power back in and wait for for a couple of minutes, and all is working again. You never know when it's going to happen, could be minutes, could be hours. Could be once a day, or could be ten times. Drives me nuts.

Support tried to palm me off with one of their netgear routers, I have used one before and was a nightmare to set up. I asked what they were sending out with their current packages, and was told a brightbox. So asked for one of those, which they finally agreed on. Hope I did the right thing there, I haven't received it yet.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Micknunn

I too had the same problem. To some extent it got better when I disabled ipv6 initially although it does happen occasionally. I haven't yet set up my brightbox because the livebox has been behaving itself for a week or two but I do know someone who has and it is easy to set up and is much more powerful than the livebox. The only reason I am hanging on to the livebox at present is because I get free VOIP calls abroad.

Have you accessed your router configuration pages and disabled UPnp?

SonofRojBlake - I meant to ask you if you had disabled UPnp in your router configuration pages to see if it helped.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015