We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Terminal???

tich101

Likes # 0

Hi HP Pavillion DV6-1210sa has given up. When I press the on button the lights come on for a couple of seconds then off again. New battery, charger ok. I have had an overheating problem which appears to be a major problem with HP notebooks. My question is, if it has overheated is it terminal and will I need a new notebook? Certainly wouldn`t get another HP! If it is fixable I would think it would cost the earth, so not financialy worth fixing. Regards Tich

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could try the steps on ClickHere for fixing the overheating problem. It probably shuts down before/to stop any damage to the CPU if the fan has failed or is clogged up.

Like this post
tich101

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. The notebook is cold but still shuts down straight away when started. Please excuss me if this is a daft question but surely if the notebooks cold and it still shuts down immediately it hasn`t had time to get hot.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I think 2 seconds is a bit quick too. But overheating and auto shutdown can happen later during boot.

The processor is doing lots then.

Maybe possible if heatsink was no longer in contact with processor or paste dried out.

Another thing to check:

Is it the same on mains only? (Battery removed)

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

laptop support

i use one of these for my laptop and it works wonders.

Like this post
tich101

Likes # 0

Yep. Same on mains only

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote