We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quiet PC Desktop

supersnad

Likes # 0

I recently bought a Zoostorm i3 processor 8gb Ram 500gb hard drive for £400 and was happy with how fast it was compared to my old Dell Dimension 31000c The only problem was that it was a lot noiser than my present one .I realise with a more powerful processor the fan would be working overtime compared to my old one but the noise just got to me and i returned it and was refunded my money. Is there reasonably quiet PC's that anyone could advise me on? Brian

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Try a Mac I've just bought one for its iWeb facility. It is completely silent. You soon adapt to it.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It was certainly not necessary to have returned the PC as you could have used alternative cooling. Different heatsink, a change of fans. I have a media PC in the living room with a i5 CPU witha passive cooled GPU and you would not know it was there.

But one point I feel I must make the cheaper the PC then the chances are the use of poorer quality of components which is likely to mean a noisier PC.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Ebuyer sell a lot of Zoostorm PCs at knock down prices without an OS (see click here). If you read the reviews on ebuyer you'll see that noisy fans is a very common complaint with these PCs. I've been tempted to buy one, but the noisy fans are off putting (particularly as it doesn't seem to be clear which fans are the problem).

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Chronus

Returning the machine would certainly be my best option. My idea of alternative cooling would be a garden hose!

Jesting aside, why rip apart a new machine? Surely this would invalidate warranties?

My HP touchsmart 300 is resonably quiet, it is an all in one. It does occassionally vibrate but I have it on rubber mats, which also raises the legs so I can slide the keyboard under.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have 2 computers.A noisy one and a quiet one.I mainly use the The noisy one as you can hear it working.The quiet one you have to keep checking to make sure it is running Ok.

Noisy one from E-Buyer the quiet one from Medion.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just had a look at some of the MAC prices.

Looks like I will be staying with E-buyer.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

There are several companies that retail very quiet PCs; this is generally achieved by minimising the number of fans. You can also modify your own PC using similar products. Have a look at some items here.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

My idea of alternative cooling would be a garden hose! Careful, there is a hosepipe ban ! Sorry couldn't resist - hope you get things sorted soon.

Like this post
supersnad

Likes # 0

I'm thinking of getting a Lenovo H330 desktop i3 processor 8gb Ram 500gb Hard drive or a Lenovo i5 processor 4gb Ram 500 gb hard drive as i've been told they're very quiet. Any advice would be welcome. Brian

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

To be honest it will be difficult to tell unless you can hear the PC in a home environment or as In my case build it yourself or pay enough cash to get the spec you want.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data