We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading xp Laptop Drive Without Discs. If Take Image, Need xp Product Key?

woodface7

Likes # 0

We plan to upgrade our 32bit xp Laptop's drive, which doesn't have discs or a readable code on the COA sticker. (It is legit - owned from new).

If we an take an image of the drive, would we need the xp Product Key? Windows won't want re-authenticating, finding itself on a changed drive?

BTW, We've never 'copied' a drive before, so if anyone has links to any good 'how to' guides, we'd be grateful!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

I'd say the easiest way is to put the new drive in an external caddy, and use Seagate's (HDD manufacturer) own cloning tool Diskwizard, which is a slimmed down version of Acronis, but free seagate site

You should be able to find the COA number in case you need it with magic Jellybean from here

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 1

There should be no re authentification issues if you clone/image the existing drive to a larger one

Depending on the new drive manufacturer if you choose one of the better known brands they will most likely have some free drive cloning/imaging software available on their web site for download often this is based on the Acronis products which will make the project easy for you

Cheers HC

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Out of interest, what type of drive are you upgrading from and to (e.g. IDE, SATA, SSD)?

Like this post
woodface7

Likes # 0

Thanks for the great cloning ideas.

I bought a bunch of 160gb Fujitsu external drives a couple of years back. I've never had one apart, but I think it's a safe bet they're a) SATA and b) Fujitsu!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Well if you bought a bunch of 160GB Fujitsu external drives a couple of years back then there is a good chance they are Fujitsu.LOL.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If the external drives are SATA (which by the sounds of it you aren't sure of), are you certain that the existing lappie drive is SATA as well? I ask as I'm guessing the machine is a few years old (as the OS is XP) and might have an IDE drive and you won't be able to swap out an IDE and insert a SATA (or vice versa for that matter).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen