We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Novice trying to upgrade to SSD and Windows 7 at same time

derekrnixon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon All,

I have searched and serached but cannot find the answer? Hopefully someone can help.

I have recently been given a 128GB Kingston SSD drive. I want to now install this into my laptop to replace current hard drive.

AT the same time I want to also upgrade from Vist 32bit to Windows 7 64bit.

So my question is, in what order do I do all this and how???

This is what I "think" I know. I should clone my current hard drive to and external drive (dont know best software) Then replace my current drive with new. Then install windows 7 (I have OEM disk, is that OK. Then I can transfere all my data back over?

Because I am a novice, my concerns are that I need simple software to clone as knowing what to copy back over without messing things up? Also will i be able to load windows 7 straight from OEM disk?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Like this post
derekrnixon

Likes # 0

Still strugging.....

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What you need to do is copy,not clone all your personal files from your external drive. There is no need to clone as you are going to be installing Windows 7 on the new SSD hard-drive.

The things you want to copy are anything in the My Pictures, My Music, and any Videos you might have and any documents you want to keep. all your software will need to be reinstalled.

As a matter of interest what size is your existing laptop hard-drive as a 128GB SSD is not much space. It is good as a boot drive along with your programs, but if you have a lot of music and films it will soon fill up.

Anyway fit the SSD, put the windows 7 disk in the optical drive tray, install Windows 7 then of course update after doing the following. Although Windows 7 does come with a lot of drivers it by no means covers them all. So it might be a good idea if you go to the laptop makers website and download the drivers in particular the LAN drivers without which you will not be able to connect to the internet.

If you post your laptop make and model I will find the drivers for you. There is a good chance you will not need them but better to be safe than sorry.

Like this post
derekrnixon

Likes # 0

Cheers Chronus, thanks for advice. I have already copied all those relevant files to external hard drive.

I was going to leave music, photo's and pictures on external drive.

So what your saying is I would have to reinstall office, norton etc fresh again?? I'm not sure what of the current programmes I still need, there seems to be hundreds of microsoft ones when I look in control panel?

By the way It's acer aspire 5738. You advice is very welcome

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You do not need to worry about anything that is in Control Pansl they are all part of the operating system. But yes you will need to reinstall Norton and Office etc so make sure you have all the necessary activation codes. Anything you have installed yourself in the terms of program's will need to be reinstalled on your new SSD. Here is a rather clever bit of software that makes installing popular software that many of us use a lot easier. Ninite. Just put a tick in the box of all the program's you want and then download the single installer. You can then double click it and it will install the lot in one go.

I'll get back to you concerning the drivers when I am on my desktop.

By the way,good idea to leave your music etc on the external drive as these folders can take up a lot of space.

Sent from my iPad.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

If the OEM Windows 7 disc is related to a differant system. It may not install or be activated by microsoft. You may also need to install a win 7 32 bit not a 64 bit dependant on your what your system spects are. To enable Chronus to fully help I feel you should cover these points first

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The drivers for your Laptop, Drivers. rather than try and download them all.install Windows 7 and then see if any drivers are missing and just download what you need, assuming you have access to another PC and a USB drive to copy the drivers to.

Like this post
derekrnixon

Likes # 0

Cheers for continued advice,

I have checked windows 7 upgrade advisor on Microsoft website and it says I would be able to upgrade to 64bit. (I hope its right to trust this information)

My laptop has 8gb RAM (again thanks to kind donation from friend) So i realised to really make use of that RAM i needed 64bit opertaing system.

The OEM disk is brand new and not installed else where...So should be OK?

Thank your for the drivers, I do have access to another PC and USB so should be fine.

Im hoping I have all the information now, so the weekend will be D-Day!!!! :) UNLESS..... YOU SAY I HAVE MISSED SOMETHING CRUCIAL BEFORE I START

Like this post
derekrnixon

Likes # 0

CHRONUS,

Sorry one last question, on the link you sent me for drivers, I notice there is a link at bottom to windows 7 drivers for Acer aspire 5738. Is that the drivers I need as im installing windows 7?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Correct,my mistake I did not look down the page, well spotted. I'll link to it here so make it easy for you to find,should you need it. Win 7 drivers.

I think you will find that you have a retail disk not OEM. You are good to go. Make sure you have all the activation codes for Office and Norton and any other software you have paid for.

I know it seems a little daunting and for the first time it is but I sure you will manage,preparation is the key here and you have done that. If you need a bit more help then I have just created an email address which you can use to contact me for a bit of personal help if you need it. mrfraggle1953atgmaildotcom change the at and dot words and put the right symbols in (@.) of course. It used to be possible to send a personal message but since the forum improvement that is no longer possible.

Like this post  
derekrnixon

Likes # 0

Ideal, Thank you

Will let you know how it goes!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...