We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Signal Strength

gel
Resolved

Likes # 0

My router is positioned near my desk top in an upstairs study connected by yellow cable The signal strength is very good on my lap top when adjacent to the router. When I use the lap top downstairs the signal is very poor. Can I improve the signal or are there suggestions regarding the router position? Thank you

Gel

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

I a similar situation I use homeplugs - a wired one plugged into the router and a wireless one on the other floor.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a similar set up and with a fairly substantial house get good signals downstairs etc. What is the make of your router? I have a Belkin 300+ n .

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

Thank you all very much for your comments My router is a Thomson TG 585 V 8 which I had from Plusnet

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

Problem resolved by moving router until best signal received. Basically I moved the router away from an outside wall Thanks for your comments gel

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

I have my Thomson 585 v6 on the back wall away from main window in Living Room. 10' telephone extension from Master Socket to Router.

(1930s semi. All ground floor walls are brick).

I can receive in every room upstairs and down and through to Conservatory at rear.

Speed drops off a bit then, but it's stable. Aerial stays upright for best coverage.

Like this post  
gel

Likes # 0

That is most helpful robinofloxley

Thank you very much gel

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite