We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working - MP3 Properties

mrthewanderer

Likes # 0

I have a number of MP3 files on my Win7 64 pc and recently every time I right click on any of the track properties I get a Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working message. All I am trying to do is edit the track information. Any ideas please

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

1. Run with your anti-virus program you have installed. Make sure your system is clean.

2. Run a system file check. See if it catches any corrupted files and be able to repair them.

Start button - search box type cmd - look up, RIGHT click on cmd.exe - click Run As Administrator - in that black and white cmd window, type at the flashing prompt sfc /scannow - press ENTER key. Note : there is a Space between "sfc" and "/". Sit back and wait. It will take some time. When done, exit cmd window. Reboot ( re-start your computer )

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Also have you installed a new program recently? It might not be compatible with your OS.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Do you have some software installed that plays (or otherwise processes) such files automatically when you right click on them?

I have an old version of ACDSee installed (under WinXP) which includes a right click context menu item called PicaView, this includes a audio player that kicks-in as soon as one right clicks on a suitable file. If an apparently suitable file (such as an MP3) is corrupt, incomplete or otherwise unplayable, this often causes Windows Explorer to crash and restart (which means the whole desktop / taskbar get restarted as these are handles by Windows Explorer).

Like this post
mrthewanderer

Likes # 0

Have run Disk checker , virus scans , registry cleaner etc. But have found a wave max entry in the context menu so have deleted this and will see if this helps and report back later. Many thanks to all for your comments.

Like this post
mrthewanderer

Likes # 0

Everything seems to be ok now. Thanks again.

Like this post
mrthewanderer

Likes # 0

Thought I had resolved the problem but it has come back again so really scratching my head now!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more