We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transferring folders from back-up

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is there any way to transfer individual folders, from a backup of an old laptop, to add to a new laptop?

I have a back-up of my old laptop, on external hard drive. Because of a problem, on my new laptop, I lost most of the data, which I originally brought over, from my old one. Most of the lost data is not important, but it would be nice to retrieve things like music, and photos. I still have a full back-up of the old one.

If I "view files" on my ext HD, it just shows the back-up as "an item". Is there a way to "locate", say, the music folder, on that, and ADD (not replace) that to the music folder, on the new laptop?

Sorry for asking what may be a "stupid question"

Many thanks.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You don't say what software was used to create the backup, but generally the software that creates a backup in a proprietary format also includes its own "explorer" so that you can access folders/files within the backup archive.

This would mean installing the software with which the backup was created in the new Laptop. Norton Ghost, for example, had its own Explorer and with Acronis True Image, the .tib file can be mounted as a separate drive in the PC, provided the program is installed.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

have tried copying and pasting using a pen drive.b4 u jump to acronis

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The back up is one just done using Windows Backup (7).

I obviously don't want to "Restore". What I want to do is take, say, the "Music" folder, from that backup, and ADD it to the Music folder, on the new laptop.

I note that if I right click on the back up, one of the options is "Restore to a new folder". If I do that, would I then be able to search for the folders I want, copy them across, and then delete the rest?

When I originally tried to transfer data, I used Windows Easy Transfer, which appeared to cause all sorts of problems, on my new laptop. In the end, I had to re-install the operating system. Whilst I would like to salvage my old data, I don't want to risk those problems again. I would rather lose the data, unless I can find a SAFE way to transfer it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Never done it for W7 but from what I've read, I think the "system image" is stored in the .vhd format that can be mounted and browsed but the daily/incremental files backups are stored in multiple .zip files. See if this helps ClickHere and Here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

This exactly why I prefer to back up all my data under one master folder using Freefilesynch or Synchtoy to make a "mirror image" copy of my data to another HD daily.

IMHO imaging is OK for system backup but cumbersome for data.I would have all system / programmes on one partition and data on another.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

John Bunyan is correct about the data backup, easiest way to retieve what you want is to go to Disk Management and under Action, select Attach VHD and then browse to your .vhd back up file and select it. It will be mounted as a virtual drive with its own letter. You can then see everything and copy what you need. Go back to Disk Management when you have finished and right click the virtual drive to dismount it. Alternatively as you say you browse and retrieve using Windows backup, it gives you the option to tick just the folders you wish to retrieve.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room