We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

broken internet connection

geedad

Likes # 0

I have been using an i5-Intel PC, coupled by a Virginmedia router ( Netgear on the back) to an older XP. This has been working fine, using emails and websites etc. Now the XP tells me that I have no connection. I have , of course, gone through all of the "settings" list that were originally set, but I still get the no connection message. The XP has an adapter ( d-Link), and in Devices Manager, seems Ok. Do you think the adapter is faulty even though it is shown as OK? I have even gone back to last Friday's Restore Point to no avail. So, does anyone have any idea why it is not connecting? My main PC ( the i5-Intel ) DOES connect OK. geedad

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I appreciate that the Windows 7 is connecting fine but have you tried nothing more simple than pulling the power supply from the router for 30 seconds? This has worked for me in the past.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

I had dropped connections via virgins superhub,phoned them up and we reset the suberhub to channel 11 and download speed to 145Mbts,all works fine now,give virgin a ring on 150,i'm on vista 64 and 20Mbts ,hope this helps.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

Chronus Yes,

Chronus, and thank you. I DID try that, but nothing was fixed.

mole44

OK, that looks a good bet, and I will give them a bell today! Many, many thanks to you both! geedad

Sorry for the delay in replying - fell asleep trying to fathom it out!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

have you tried just taking the D-link out and then reinstalling it.Or turn the Superhub off remove the d-link turn the superhub back on wait for a minute and then plug the the D-Link in again.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

mole44

Chronus

OK! Just contacted Virginmedia and after a few minutes they got my XP connected to my Win 7! Great service, and thanks for all of your help!

geedad

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

geedad.

Did they tell you what the problem was? How was it resolved? Useful to know as it might help someone in a similar position.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

mole44 Yes, It seems that it was something to do with the "Auto" settings. This was changed to "1" (One). That's the most I can remember!! But thank you again for your advice. geedad

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September