We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Start up issue

BLUes23

Likes # 0

When i turn my computer on straight away it asks me to press F1 and the Bios Setup utility menu appears and then it asks me to select English as the default language. Now i am a bit scared of going any further as i might do something wrong or should i just follow the prompts? Any help or advice on this matter will be much appreciated. I am running Windows XP. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Sounds as if your motherboard battery has died if its going to BIOS on boot.

Select English - check date and time if these are set well in the past then the CMOS battery has died and will need changing.

Then if you can find a setting for default values select that and let it reboot.

hopefully it will boot into windows.

CMOS Battery http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article.php?id=81

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

The link provided by Fruit Bat is very good, and even a novice should be able to change a battery following the instructions. Assuming that it is a desktop, and not a laptop. A computer shop would charge quite a fair fee for doing this. The battery itself, are very easy to obtain for about £1.00 or less and seem to last a very long time.

Remember though, that it is electrics that you are playing with, so remove or disable any obstacles regarding power and static, or touching parts with your bare hands. And do not try to force the tab, if it shows slight resistance. If you break the ta, then you are in serious trouble.

Like this post
BLUes23

Likes # 0

I have now changed the Battery on the Mainboard and also had to re-set the clock. It did say 1990 !!! Saved to Bios and all is ok now. Thanks guys for the help and advice :o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes