We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mc Afee

ponytail

Likes # 0

Everytime my wife restarts her lap top she gets the following pop up message.

McAfee Security Center Application Resources caould not be loaded Successfully Please Reinstall McAfee Security Center

We do not have McAfee installed so why do we get this message and how do we stop it.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

At some point in time you've ad a McAfee security product on the system. If this has just started recently I suggest that the McAfee Security Scan, which is a freebie, may have been downloaded or installed with another program inadvertently. It's quite common.

First of all download CCleaner from here Ccleaner Free Version and make sure during the install you untick the box offering the free Google Tool bar if it is offered! Launch Ccleaner and on the left column select the blue toolbox. Check in the uninstall tab (second column) that McAfee is not mentioned - if it is uninstall it from the button "Run Uninstaller"

If there is no sign of it, to resolve you need to disable or remove the reference to it in the start up. From the toolbox select start up tab. Now look for the reference to McAfee in the column headed "File". Highlight the offending entry by selecting it and then initially disable it. Reboot and it should be gone. If som return to Ccleaner and delete it altogether.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Thank's Taff that seems to have done the trick it was listed when I selected start up tab and is no longer there and did not appear when I rebooted the laptop and it always did.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My be better to run the unistall tool.

AV programs resist normal uninstalling as this could be initiated by virus or malware.

There may still be remnants of McAfee in your system that could cause problems if you attempt to install another Antivirus program.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Good link Pine Man and that would be the second option. McAfee recommends that you use the programs uninstall method first before using their own tool which clears out registry remnants as well. Link to Mcafee Instructions for their removal tool The method I described runs their own uninstaller first via Ccleaner. (The original post didn't state which OS so I opted for this method to keep it simpler. Personally I would use Revo but in the hands of a novice it can be daunting as well as dangerous!) :0;

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

We've all cross posted! You can now run Pine Mans tool as well. Won't do any harm. Just watch in future the "freebies" that come with other software!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Thanks for coming back to us! Here's the basic guide from Seagate Installing Sata drive

Next there's the interactive troubleshooter Troubleshooting a Seagate Sata drive installation

Never had to do this myself so wait and see if Fruit Bat /\0/\ has any comments.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Ignore that last post - should have gone in another thread!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Depending on the age of the laptop, you might find that the McAfee software was installed as a freebie or trial ware, at the time of purchase, as one of those once regular incentive to buy the laptop?.

Might pay to check and see if other programs are lurking in the background, and on the HD?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes