We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First laptop

Mooky19

Likes # 0

Hi,

I looking to get my first ever laptop. I have £500 budget, want it for general use and watching movies both on dvd and online and would like a number pad on the keyboard. Had looked at the Sony Vaio and HP dv6 but getting conflicting advice. Please help!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For a reliable brand with easy spares etc I would go for Toshiba. John Lewis give a 2 Year Guarantee. There is one on the link at just within your budget.For about £30 you can get a TV dongle to use it as a TV and PVR! Do get a USB HD to back up data from the start!

J Lewis Toshiba

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Would certainly agree with JB, about John Lewis' guarantee, which is well worth having. They also give 90 tech support.

If you have a £500 budget, and no VERY SPECIFIC needs (eg Gaming), you have a huge choice. I would visit JL, and try a few (a lot comes down to "what feels right"), then check out their reviews, on this site, or somewhere like Which?.

Like this post
rockets

Likes # 0

I suggest to buy a thinkpad laptop,it has well-know good quality and it is very cool in summer. you can purchase a 15" laptop that has a number pad designed on it. Importantly its keyboard has sensitive and good feedback feelings.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September